Transitional Housing Program
River of Refuge opened 10 transitional housing units in May 2016 to assist and empower Kansas City-metro families as they move from homelessness to self-sufficiency. We understand the needs of working parents and have established a safe and secure community living at the former Park Lane Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri at 5155 Raytown Road.
Am I Eligible?
There must be at least one child 18 or younger living in the household full-time.
Adults must be working at least 35 hours per week.
Family members must be drug and alcohol-free.
If your family needs help and you meet the eligibility requirements, complete and submit our Transitional Housing Application.
(Prescreen Application Only)
Please call the office at 816.737.5100
with any questions.
(Walk-ins will not be seen.)
After submitting your application, call and check in weekly. Leave a voicemail with your contact information. We do not return calls regarding check in.
Failure to do so will remove you from the waiting list!
(Please note that the waitlist is an average of 6-12 weeks in length. Actual times may be shorter or longer based on the needs of the families in the program.)
- In exchange for adhering to the strict program, our families are provided a fully furnished apartment that is rent- and utility-free.
- Additionally, program families are provided basic necessities such as non-perishable food, hygiene items, and cleaning products.
- A staff member serves as night manager and resides on-site, providing additional support.
- The goal for program members is to pay off debt which is a barrier to stable housing and build savings. Upon program completion, our families should be able to pay a security deposit and first month's rent on permanent housing of their choosing.
- Program members are required to attend mandatory case management, financial coaching, Life Skills, and Parenting classes.
- Other services that may be offered include, but are not limited to, job readiness, educational tutoring, recovery, and counseling.