River of Refuge opened 11 transitional housing units in May 2016 to assist and empower Kansas City-metro families as they move from homelessness to self-sufficiency. We understand the needs of working parents and have worked to establish safe and secure community living at the former Park Lane Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri at 5155 Raytown Road.
The first completed wing will assist up to 11 families at a time in becoming self-sufficient and graduating at their predetermined date, based on their personalized plan. We estimate that 85 percent of our families will graduate into self-sufficiency which will allow them to transition into stable housing with their own saved money.
We will document the success of members through weekly progress reports from case managers. The reports will document attendance to life-skills coaching and mentoring sessions, as well as adherence to the personalized financial plan — and also verification of required weekly deposits into a personal savings account.
Transitional Housing Form
If your family needs help, complete and submit our Transitional Housing form (CLICK HERE). After submitting your application call and check in weekly to monitor the progress of your submission. Please call the office at (816) 737-5100 with any questions (walk-ins will not be seen).
River of Refuge Family Apartments
Upon completion of Phase One River of Refuge facility, the following services and living accommodations will be provided for:
- For families within the program, there will be 11 private rooms one floor of the building. There is a variety of sized family units to accommodate for small and large families.
- Program members live rent and utility free for the duration of the program. All individuals are expected to comply with the guidelines including that adults will work full-time, attend all mandatory meetings, and adhere to the budget policies.
- In addition to paying off debt which is the barrier(s) to homelessness, each program member will build savings that allow them to pay a security deposit and first and last month’s rent on a new residence.
- Included with River of Refuge-provided financial advisement and coaching, other services will be offered to members, including (but not limited to): job skills classes, parenting classes and educational tutoring.
- Four to six weeks prior to a scheduled “graduation” date for a program family, a case manager will work with the family to find permanent housing.