Transitional Housing Program
River of Refuge opened 10 transitional housing units in May 2016 to assist and empower Kansas City-metro families as they move from homelessness to self-sufficiency. We understand the needs of working parents and have established a safe and secure community living at the former Park Lane Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri at 5155 Raytown Road.
Am I Eligible?
Each household must have
school-aged children or younger,
in the home, on a full-time basis.
All adults must be working
full-time prior to
entering the program.
Everyone in the
household must be
drug and alcohol free.
If your family needs help and you meet the eligibility requirements, complete and submit our
Transitional Housing Application.
(Prescreen Application Only)
Please call the office at 816.737.5100
with any questions.
(Walk-ins will not be seen.)
After submitting your application, call and check in weekly. Leave a voicemail with your contact information.
*Failure to do so will remove you from the waiting list.*
(please note that waitlist is on average 6-12 weeks in length, this is only an estimate. Actual times may be shorter or longer based on the needs of the families in the program.)
- In exchange for adhering to the strict program, our families are provided a fully furnished apartment which is rent- and utility-free.
- Additionally, program families are provided basic necessities such as non-perishable food, hygiene items and cleaning products.
- A staff member serves as night manager and resides on-site, providing additional support.
- The goal for program members is to pay off debt which is a barrier to stable housing and build savings. Upon program completion, our families should be able to pay a security deposit and first months rent on permanent housing of their choosing.
- Program members are required to attend mandatory case management, financial coaching, Life Skills and Parenting classes.
- Other services that may be offered include, but are not limited to, job readiness, educational tutoring, recovery, and counseling.