River of Refuge opened 11 units in May 2016 to assist and empower Kansas City-metro families as they move from motel living to self-sufficiency. We understand the needs of working parents and have worked to establish safe and secure community living at the former Park Lane Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri at 5155 Raytown Road.
The first floor wing will assist up to 11 families at a time in becoming self-sufficient and graduating at their predetermined date, based on their personalized plan. We estimate that 90 percent of our families will graduate into self-sufficiency which will allow them to transition into stable housing with their own saved money.
We will document the success of members through weekly progress reports from case managers. The reports will document attendance to life-skills coaching and mentoring sessions, as well as adherence to the personalized financial plan — and also verification of required weekly deposits into a personal savings account.
Transitional Housing Form
If your family needs help, complete and submit our Transitional Housing form (CLICK HERE). Please call the office at (816) 737-5100 with any questions (walk-ins will not be seen). After submitting your form, check in weekly to monitor the progress of your submission.
River of Refuge Family Apartments
Upon completion of Phase One and Two of the River of Refuge facility, the following services and living accommodations will be provided for:
- For families within the program, there will be 22 private rooms on two floors of the building, allowing for a maximum capacity of 92 people.
- Each floor will also have private living quarters for on-site, full-time staff serving as a floor advisor.
- Room and board for our members will be provided free of charge, as long as the adults maintain full-time employment, adhere to program rules and agree to pay off debt.
- In addition to paying off debt, each program member will build savings that allow them to pay a security deposit and first and last month’s rent on a new residence, as well as save 60 days’ worth of living expenses.
- Included with River of Refuge-provided financial advisement and coaching, other services will be offered to members, including (but not limited to): job skills classes, parenting classes and educational tutoring.
- Four to six weeks prior to a scheduled “graduation” date for a program family, a case manager will work with the family to find permanent housing.
Family Assistance Program – (NO FUNDING AT THIS TIME)
River of Refuge offers various services to assist working-poor families who are homeless or at immediate risk of becoming homeless.
- Household must have children under the age of 18
- Household must have sustainable income
- Household must meet Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Must reside/be enrolled in school districts within Jackson County, Missouri
- Must provide required documentation
- Picture ID for all household members 18 years of age and older
- Social Security cards
- Birth certificates for minor children
- Proof of income
- Proof of residency